We are the Diocese of Derry and Raphoe located in the counties of Londonderry, Tyrone and Donegal in North West Ireland / Northern Ireland. Our denomination is the Church of Ireland and we are part of the Anglican (Episcopal) Communion which has 70 million members in 164 countries.
Our Bishop is Rt Rev Andrew Forster who is responsible for 98 worshipping congregations across 48 parishes serving 15,000 members. This task is only made possible through the 50+ serving ordained clergy, 32 diocesan lay readers and more than 700 volunteers who serve their communities in many diverse ways on a weekly basis.
Each local parish church is unique due to geography, demography or worship style. It is not uncommon, though, for Anglican churches to be united through a love of their community, serving them through providing youth clubs, uniformed organisations, lunch clubs, Mothers’ Unions and food banks, alongside providing pastoral support in times of need to whoever requires it.
Our worship is not restricted to Sundays, with many parishes holding services on a variety of days throughout the week in nursing homes, hospitals and even schools. We would encourage you to check the ‘find-a-church’ page on this site for more information.
Any service in the parish church is ordered by the Book of Common Prayer which unites the whole of the Church of Ireland in how worship is conducted. This means that services can feel familiar no matter which parish you are visiting; it also allows for flexibility and creativity within the confines of orderly worship to cater for a breadth of worship styles. To find out more about what we believe in the Church of Ireland, please read more here.
We are delighted you are on our website and would love to help you find a local church which you would feel comfortable joining. Please search for one here in order to help you experience the joy of knowing Christ in your own life and in your community.
What we value
We Seek GROWTH
- We are called to develop growing and transforming communities of faith
- We expect to see growth in church and community life
- We are committed to worship that is thought-provoking, energising and magnetic
We Serve in TEAMS
- We promote unity and peace within our own life as a diocese and within the whole family of God
- We aim to share unity of purpose and to model respectful relationships
- We seek to share common life and action with other Christian traditions
- We have strategic teams in the diocese to enable growth and transformation
We Encourage LEADERS
- We look outwards and engage compassionately with those in need
- We work to see lives transformed for the good of the world and to the glory of God
- We want to be inspired by leaders who are purposeful, imaginative and are themselves being transformed