History of St Columb's:
The original site of the diocesan cathedral was in Templmore (Irish: An Teampalll Mór or "the Big Church"). Due to the violence of the Nine Years' War, the church was destroyed. It was first damaged by an accidental explosion on 24 April 1568, the church having been appropriated for the storage of gunpowder. On 16 April 1600, Sir Henry Docwra entered Londonderry with a force of 4,000 soldiers. He tore down the ruins of the Big Church and used its stones to build the walls and ramparts of the city. A small square stone tablet from An Teampall Mór is today fixed into the porch of the present structure. The Latin inscription reads "In Templo Vervs Devs Est Verec Colendvs" ("The True God is in His Temple and is to be truly worshipped").
The present structure, located close to the original, was completed in 1633 by William Parrot, in the Planter's Gothic style. Also in the porch is an inscription:
- If stones could speake
- then London's prayse
- should sound who
- built this church and
- cittie from the grounde.
St. Columb's has in its possession many documents dating back from the Siege of Derry. They have portraits of William of Orange and the original keys of the city.
The Cathedral also contains a memorial to Valentine Munbee McMaster VC.
St Columb's is the first cathedral to be built by the Anglican church after the Reformation in the British Isles and the first non-RC cathedral to be built in Europe.
Video Tour of St Columb's:
You can find an extensive collection of photos of St Columbs Cathedral by visiting flickr.com (opens in new window)
All information on Church Services and contact information can be found here.
Alongside being a centre for worship, the Cathedral in Londonderry is a popular tourist attraction. You can find reviews on Trip Advisor here (opens in new window).
The Dean & Chapter
||The Very Reverend Raymond J Stewart (2017)|
|Archdeacon:||The Venerable R Millar (2012)|
||The Reverend R J Stewart (2005)|
||The Reverend S McVeigh (2001)|
||The Reverend H D J Ferry (2005)|
|The Reverend R W Clarke (2005)||The Reverend D J Quinn (2006)|
|The Reverend F D Creighton (2008)||The Reverend H Given (2014)|
|The Reverend P Whittaker (2017)||The Reverend P Hoey (2018)|
Organist & Master of Choristers
Mr Ian Mills MA BMus (Hons) ARCO
Acting Organist & Master of the Choristers: Dr Derek Collins
Assistant Organist: Mr Nicky Morton